Sunday, November 20, 2011

Christ the King Sunday (Last Sunday after Pentecost)



The Gospel today reflected on when Jesus comes back. It tells us, "All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats." To the sheep Jesus says, "Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you...for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me." The righteous will inquire, "Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? Jesus replies, "Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me." So, when you stand before God what do you believe he will say? Jesus entire life was a love lesson about God and God's children (both you and I). He loves us so much that he wanted to make certain to show that love by not just ruling from the throne, but by being active in our lives. He sent Jesus to show his great love. Jesus never once sat on a "high horse" so to speak when talking to anyone. Yes, he did step on some toes, but not to reprove anyone. When he called someone a hypocrite he was bringing before them the reality that their actions didn't match the words that so easily rolled off their tongues. As members of God's Holy Catholic Church (of the Anglican persuasion) we understand the Sacraments as outward visible signs of inward grace. For instance the Holy Eucharist is the body and blood of Christ and we physically partake. In the same light we have our Baptism in which we physically have water applied and acknowledge Christ publicly as Lord of our lives (and receive the Holy Spirit). The Holy Eucharist and Baptism are examples of how we are to live out this call to be the body of Christ. We may disagree on few, or many things. We may not always be the friendliest we can be. We may even make someone downright angry, but we are to put our faith in action. We all have attributes that can be similar to those in the Gospel regarding sheep versus goats. However, Christ is being profoundly bold and serious that we should be doing all the things he mentioned. We should not do these expecting a reward, but that so others may know the comfort of God. What if you touched a thousand lives in 10 years? This would be roughly 2 people per week that you encouraged by visiting them, or took them some soup when they were ill. What if you took this call as literally as Christ calls on us to do? It would be fairly easy to reach out to 2 people per week to shows Christ at work. What if out of that 1,000 you touched they wanted to have a relationship with Christ and with Christ's church because they knew you were being genuine? As Mother Teresa said (when speaking of the lepers and other outcasts), "Each one of them is Jesus in disguise." So, I ask you, are you a sheep? Or, are you happy being a goat? I know I'll let people down from time to time (unintentionally), but Jesus help me to be the kind of sheep you'd have me to be! Amen!!


***Pray especially for healing for: Terese Gluck, Rose Mauzy, David Garber and family, Pete & Mary Jane Walburg, Ginny Henline, Tommy Thompson, John & Delberta Allen, Misty McCoy, Madeline Vaught, Nathan McConnell, Camden Albano, Peggy Ann Turner, Pam Shinault, Jimmy Milas, Katie Armstrong, Donald Kaltenback, Harry MacRae, and Susan Beeler.


-------Pray for the souls of the departed, remembering especially: Norm Bolling--------------


Collect:

ALMIGHTY AND EVERLASTING GOD, whose will it is to restore all things in your well beloved Son, the King of kings and Lord of lords: Mercifully grant that the peoples of the earth, divided and enslaved by sin, may be freed and brought together under his most gracious rule; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.


(1st Reading Ezekiel 34:11-16, 20-24, Psalm 95:1-7a, 2nd Reading Ephesians 1:15-23, Gospel Matthew 25:31-46)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged by members and friends of Saint Paul Episcopal Church. Please keep it friendly and respectful!